Skip to main content

Sewer/Drain/Plant Questions

How do I receive a utility locate for my project? 

Please call 811 or visit the 811 website to request a locate. 

Sewer pipes: What am I responsible for? 

The service line, also known as a lateral sewer, carries waste from your home toilets and drains to the District’s main sewer line, where it continues to the wastewater treatment plant. Most homeowners experience sewer problems in the service line, which they are responsible for maintaining and repairing.


All homeowners should be aware that not all homeowners’ insurance policies will cover costs incurred with sewer backing up in their home. A standard homeowner’s policy does not include coverage for water and sewer backup. If your service line should become plugged and sewer backs up in your home, it could do several thousand dollars’ worth of damage. Please check your policy or check with your agent to be sure you are covered should a mishap occur. Mostinsurance companies do offer just a water and sewer backup coverage by itself. We are only responsible for our main line, not your service line.

Visit the Drain Facts page for more information.



Sewer back-up, what should I do? 

Call us! We can check the main sewer line and determine what needs to be done.
During office hours, Monday-Friday 9:00 am – 4:00 pm, call 970-498-0604.
After hours, call 970-567-3006

For more information on what to do if your sewer is backed up, please check the Drain Facts Information Sheet or visit the Drain Facts website.

How can I avoid sewer back-ups? 

The best way to avoid backups is to be careful about what you flush down your toilets and drains. We recommend adhering to the Three Ps – pee, poo and toilet paper. Anything else may result in a sewer overflow in your home, or a blockage known as a ‘fatberg’ in our sewer lines. Check out our What not to Flush for in depth information.

Who should I call in case of emergency? 

Emergency Number 970-567-3006.